Wednesday, August 27, 2008

In Pursuit of Happiness


With all due respect to
brownsistas.com, i knew I had to do this article. Two days ago on my facebook account I said I was in pursuit of happiness. The motivation behind the statement was the fact that I needed to find the ultimate goal of being happy. I asked myself if getting married, getting a new six figure income job, travelling the world or dating the most eligibly rich dude in town would culminate in truly being happy. I realized my fears resurfaced every time I thought about maybe after a while after getting all of these supposed happiness triggers, I would still be unsatisfied.

“One of my greatest fears is not being able to be all I am made to be.”

Where I am today is a function of the decision I made yesterday. My financial, emotional, career state right now is simply because of the path I chose yesterday. The thought of this sent shivers down my spine. The fear derived from this knowledge energized me and caused me to think.

Have I made mistakes?, Yes!..Are my mistakes responsible for where I am today? Most certainly!...Can I get out of this rot? Most definitely..If I want to!...Isn’t it too late? Absolutely not!...How can I get out of this?...the last question here leads me back to the article I read on brownsistas.com on Rinse and Repeat….check excerpts of it below.

The Wet Mop Syndrome: A condition of mind rot where some people believe that person’s outside of themselves are responsible for their unhappiness. Usually the wet mopper converses with other wet moppers or other sounding boards to get their endless points across. Synonyms for wet moppers are: blame shifters, consistent complainers, gripers, and unfounded scathing criticism.

Making reference to the ones that are most important to me, I chose the following questions in finding answers to getting out of the mistakes I had made.

- How many opportunities have I blown simply because I was not prepared for them?
- How many years am I willing to wait before I take action?
- Will blaming others get me what I want? Or will it keep me right where I’m at?

Brown Sista Lifestyle Writer GT tells me that I could have all the reasons in the world why i can’t have, do or be what I want. But when the smoke clears, and life progresses on, I will be the one who feels the rub of my own inactions.

From the above, I learnt I had to change my thoughts to change my life. It’s never too late to begin. Opportunities are abounding every day, it is the ability to choose correctly the risks I take that would make a world of difference in me. I don’t have to wait till tomorrow to make a difference when I have today…I guess that means I need to start from exactly where I am and most importantly, be absolutely responsible for myself..no one is going to do for me what i need and must do for myself.

Brownsista says, when in need…Rinse and Repeat those questions as often as necessary.

Which of the questions rings for you?



9 comments:

Flourishing Florida said...

happiness is like air - it needs 2 be recycled to stay fresh. breath in same of it long enof & it becomes stale

Flourishing Florida said...

recirculated, sorry

Flourishing Florida said...

r u new 2 blogville? there's a community of nigerian (& nigerian loving) blogger u need 2 introduce urself 2. check out my blog & u'll see a host of dem. mayb n my next post. i'll introduce u. how does dat sound?

Red Sapphire said...

I am sorry i didn't get to reply u on tyme,....was outta town from friday..just got back and settled.Yes i would like the intro very much.Also one of ur blogs is restricted for readers alone...but i'll check your other to see if i can get the blog list.
Thanks alot for everything

Flourishing Florida said...

hiya, i updated yesterday & yes i did introduce u. sorry abt d other blog. it's restricted to everyone actually. it's my prayer blog, daz y. how was ur trip?

Rebirth said...

"How many opportunities have I blown simply because I was not prepared for them?"......... word!!!!
i love ur posts....I'd be back and i love the just stand up song.......

poeticallytinted said...

cool. You know, I feel u on d pursuit of happiness. I am a happiness chaser as well. But then, I've come to learn that, we must learn to find happiness in our present situations, here and now. If not you will begin an endless search. Dunno if this makes sense but at every point in ur life there's always something that u presume will make you happier. So happiness is RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW! it should be a way of life and not some abstract concept. I guess that's the void religion fills for some people, the knowing that it doesn't all end here... complete euphoric happiness coming after the travails of making a life on earth... newayz:

I'm high on air
I'm happy I be
If you care
then you will see
I will be so
THEN, NOW, TILL I GO!

Just made this up. lol.

badderchic said...

okay, freeflowin, we don check am out o~

lol

nice one Red.

Red Sapphire said...

Thanks alot free flowing for the intro,my trip was good, trying to change jobs...funms..checking out ur blog already...poeticallytinted, thanks for the heads up....badderchic..thank u